[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:01:17 PST 2011

Carrol: "I'm not sure, in any case, that lbo-talk (or perhaps any e-list) is a context in which to debate conflicting interpretations of Marx. And note, interpreting Marx (or any text by anyone) belongs to philology, not economics."

[WS:] I second Carrol on this. Not that philological debates are inherently worthless (albeit I think many of them are intellectual pissing contests,) but what started as a substantive debate about empirical merits of the ltv quickly turned into a philological one. Turning substantive discussions into philological ones seems like avoiding to answer the question and changing the subject instead.

Wojtek