[lbo-talk] Businesses are refusing to hire the unemployed,

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 22:34:42 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Robinson" <srobin21 at comcast.net>

Businesses are refusing to hire the unemployed, commission told

By Alana Semuels The Los Angeles Times February 16, 2011

Being unemployed is, for many, not fun. There are no co-workers to mock at the water cooler, no expense accounts on which to wine and dine associates and no impressive title to drop when you're trying to pick up the ladies (or men, for that matter).

Now there's a growing trend of employers refusing to consider the unemployed for job openings, according to a number of people who testified before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Wednesday. They say that employers are barring the unemployed from job openings, which is particularly unfair to older workers and African Americans because more of them are unemployed.

-------

This has been going on for a couple of years. And, I have to say, it is one of the most heinous things I've ever heard.

Joanna