[lbo-talk] Food Prices Again

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 06:11:33 PST 2011

@ Gar- I agree with most of what you said and you offer a clear explanation of what happened. But this part:"One of the fundamentals driving that price bubble was rich nations buying grain and soybeans to make ethanol and biodiesel - in essence power automobiles with food." I don't understand. I know this is a common view on both the left and most of the mainstream. But how exactly did ethanol cause the price of wheat to rise before the price of corn went up? How did ethanol cause the price of rise to go up when clearly they are not substitutes on either the production or consumption side?

Brad