[lbo-talk] Obama reelection prospect

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 08:39:17 PST 2011

Jean-Christophe: "Just like he was very lucky to have the crisis start right during the election. Had it started a few months later, Mc Cain would be president now and Palin vice-president !!!"

[WS:] I am afraid it is true. Even in the aftermath of a cataclysmic meltdown, O's victory margin was relatively thin 7.2 percentage points. I think what goes against O is his "soft" image - a big share of the US electorate would rather see someone with an "ass-kicker" image like Bush or Palin. You can kvetch all you want about the influence of money, Wall street, yada yada yada - and all that is true - but on the election day it is the candidate's image not money that sway people one way or the other.

And there is enough spiteful fucks in this country http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/ to go for the ass-kicking image of Palin and the likes. Choosing Palin for VP was a brilliant move - almost a guaranteed winner - except that the economy tanked and spoiled the otherwise perfect electoral circus.

Wojtek