[lbo-talk] Food Prices Again

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 18 16:19:28 PST 2011

Does this endless wrangle have anything to do with anything? I mean, I'm all for people entertaining themselves, but this is getting sily.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Peter Fay Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 5:03 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Food Prices Again

I missed which year is being referenced here.

But corn would not need to rise first before wheat. Twice in the last few years huge numbers of producers abandoned other crops to go into corn.

However, the largest crop cuts were in soybeans taken out of production, driving soy prices up, and thus meat prices. A glut of producers switching to corn to hitch their wagons to ADM's lucre from lobbying the guppies in congress for the worst energy policy in decades - corn-based ethanol, affected all crops - wheat, soy, cotton, etc. which it seems return far lower dollars per acre than corn, particularly irrigated. Growth in corn output for ethanol not only cuts back on other crops, but takes unused (or rotated fallow land) back into corn production.

"Between the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 marketing years, the number of acres planted in corn increased by about 15 million, whereas the num-ber of acres planted in soybeans fell by about 11 million. The increase of nearly 1 billion bushels in the corn used for producing ethanol required farmers to plant and harvest about 6 million additional acres of cropland. Under the assumption that those acres came from crop-land previously planted in soybeans (typically, corn and soybeans are grown in rotation on the same land), the increase in the price per bushel of soybeans caused by planting 6 million fewer acres was between $1.09 and $1.82.35<http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/100xx/doc10057/MainText.4.1.shtml#111> Such an increase in soybean prices raised expen-ditures on food by between 0.2 percent and 0.3 percent, bringing the total effect to between 0.5 percent and 0.8 percent." http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/100xx/doc10057/MainText.4.1.shtml

<http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/100xx/doc10057/MainText.4.1.shtml> The U.S. ethanol industry will consume about 41 percent of the U.S. corn crop this year, or 15 percent of the global corn crop, according to Goldman Sachs analysts. http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/22/us-ethanol-gore-idUSTRE6AL3CN20101 122 <http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/22/us-ethanol-gore-idUSTRE6AL3CN2010 1122>