[lbo-talk] Businesses are refusing to hire the unemployed,

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 09:11:52 PST 2011

Well, there's nothing scientific about it at all, unfortunately. It's just a survey of the people they happen to get, as far as I can tell.

The hard truth is that there doesn't seem to be any hard data about the relative difficulty of landing a job for the employed and the unemployed. Admittedly, I haven't gone all out to find it, but I would expect that if there really were something substantive, it wouldn't be that hard to find. And of course, this period of steep unemployment is a particular case and wouldn't necessarily apply in a situation where unemployment was half or less what it is now, with fewer long-term unemployed.

But if there was ever a time to study it, you'd think now would be that time, wouldn't you?