[lbo-talk] labor leadership not so sure about Wisconsin

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 22 07:24:35 PST 2011

Of course people get discouraged, some don't. Others come along.

But we are not talking of what ought to be. We are talking about a simple historical observation: People lose most of the time, but somehow they keep coming. Check out rural insurrections in 16th-c England. If I recall correctly, in medieval Europe peasant insurrections someplace came around about every 2 yers.

Defeats aren't pretty. Capitalism simply forces them upon us. Losing before the struggle even begins is even more discouraging.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Smith Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 9:11 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] labor leadership not so sure about Wisconsin

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:28:24 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> You think that an endless series of defeats might not discourage
> people?

We have some recent counterexamples, do we not?

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net