[lbo-talk] NONSENSE RE THE '60S - was A Note on an old slogan

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 22 14:54:04 PST 2011

I'm nearing the end of Ted Morgan's Chapter 4. Chapter 3 alone is worth the price of the book.

Even those about whom the lies are told can begin to believe them. Perhaps that is part of what happened to Mario Savio. I suspect as I go on listening to Ted's book I'll begin to discover nonsense in my own memories of the time. In Chapter 4 he has a comment that throws some light on Savio's silly words. Whenever reporters interviewed those participating in an action or demonstration, they _never_ were interested in the shared political ideas that moved the demo; they were _only_ interested in the individual motives for being there of the person they were interviewing. Perhaps by the time Savio gave the interview containing these remarks he had without realizing it imbibe this twisted view the media operated from; he must have answered such questions innumerable times, read those answers as they appeared in print or on the TV, until he too came to believe that his actions had had no political content.

Carrol

P.S. These posts are a running monologue on my part. I'm not reading what other shave to say. I don't want to get angry at anyone.