[lbo-talk] Fidel on Libya

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 23 10:12:59 PST 2011

My own general feeling is that the struggle in most African & Middle East nations is first of all for national independence from NATO & the US. Questions of kind of government are internal questions and none of our business -- except to oppose u.s. interference (anyplace) to the extent that we can.

Carrol

P.S. Note that the Iraqi people were much better off under the tyranny of Saddam Hussein than they have been since. And I remember a woman from Bulgaria who posted on the Marxist list during Clinton's aggression against Serbia: She had been a dissenter under the "Communist" regime; she was by then an even more active dissenter under the new regime: she predicted that the Serbian people would be unhappy if western "democracy" replaced their current government.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Julio Huato Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:05 AM To: Marxist Debate; scisoc; pen-l at lists.csuchico.edu; Lbo Talk Lbo Talk Subject: [lbo-talk] Fidel on Libya

FWIW. In fairness, note that Fidel is not supporting Gaddafi personally. "One can agree with Gaddafi or not" -- he wrote. He endorses Nicolás Maduro's point that it is up to "the Libyan people" to settle their domestic conflicts without the meddling of foreign powers. But since Libya has oil, NATO is stalking the chance to grab it. That is Fidel's concern here. And he has a point.

http://www.cuba.cu/gobierno/reflexiones/2011/ing/f210211i.html