[lbo-talk] Glen Ford: Torturing Detroit's Kids for Racist Fun andProfit

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Feb 23 18:15:00 PST 2011

Corporate America and its servants in the Democratic and Republican parties care nothing for the education of Black, inner city school children, and the proof is in Detroit, for all to see. The State of Michigan, controlled, like every other state in the country, by business interests, has ordered Detroit to close down half of its public schools, and increase class sizes to 60 students.. Glen Ford

--------

I read the story about Detroit this morning, just checking the events in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana...and coming to California when the state budget is released March 4. I was going over to Black Agenda, but got pulled back to Libya. I was also meditating on Haiti and New Orleans and the whole lie of NGOs, BP Gulf of black death, and all the other outrages of the earth.

The classic painting in this gendre is Saturn devorando a su hijo, which is usually translated as Saturn eating his chilcren. With each passing day I come to understand Goya more and the terrors he painted. Here is the image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Francisco_de_Goya,_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo_(1819-1823).jpg

The usual art history discourse on these works comes down to an old man gone off because of deafness and isolation. A once great court painter abandoned by history. All probably true, but the truth of the paintings is thereby ignored. Goya saw something like what we are seeing, what I am feeling.

CG