[lbo-talk] Fidel on Libya

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 08:02:06 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> My own general feeling is that the struggle in most African & Middle East
> nations is first of all for national independence from NATO & the US.

Oy. Again, this is not 1960. National independence has long been achieved, and the ME & NA revolutions are exactly aimed at the nationalist regimes that are their immediate enemies. I realize you have sight problems and so can't keep up with the events that easily, but it doesn't take much of an effort to notice this. At the very least, if you can't get a handle on what's going on there, at least don't assume that the the same old wars are being fought. The tactics and slogans clearly show this.

This isn't to say that the revolts are fundamentally post-, anti-, or non-national. (The Libya, in particular, seems to be aimed at solidifying that nation that Gaddafi has segmented so brutally.) They aren't, but in many important ways, the protesters are operating and against and outside national lines of politics. Your insistence on anti-imperialism both misses the importance of these protests and reaffirms the US as the center of all political action.