[lbo-talk] The Left has more than enough mystique and values, but lacks discipline and accountability

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:15:47 PST 2011

1) What do YOU mean by efficiency? 2) Do you accept the dualism in the paper you've linked us to - efficiency as lowered costs vs efficiency as values realization? Further, while I stopped reading it after it put me to sleep, isn't the whole point of the article that "efficiency" has no single operationalization? 3) Are you suggesting that common definitions of efficiency ought to be brought to bear when comparing the US, EU nations and the old Soviet Union? 4) What conception of "the Left" are you seeking operationalize (and what makes you think any of the following are commensurable?) - New Deal Democrats, any particular party in any particular EU nation (and when), the Communist Party in the Soviet Union? 4a) if you intend to refer to a party or group of parties in the EU, what is your understanding of the relationship between bureaucracies under parliamentary systems of social democracy and particular "Left" parties. 5) Why is this your focus?