[lbo-talk] Derailment - question on Bolivarian Revolution

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:42:00 PST 2011

> In fairness to the Chavez government, the state *has* been investing in
> infrastructure, agriculture and local industry. They need to do more,
> sure, but it's not that they've done nothing at all. Each developmental
> state can and should learn from the successes -- and failures -- of the
> others.

One thing I've often wondered about. Venezuela seems to tax local capitalists at a very low rate. Petroleum revenue is great while you have it, but what is the logic behind not making the Venezuelan capitalist class pay more in taxes to pay for a faster infrastructure and social transformation? Whether or not it is an error, I'm sure this has been considered, so I wonder if anyone more familiar with Venezuela can share the reasons behind this decision.

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598 Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com