[lbo-talk] More Rightwing proto-fascism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 04:24:59 PST 2011

[WS:] Speaking of precision, the Euro-American view of fascism as something very uniquely horrifying in history seems rather imprecise. In fact, Euro fascist atrocities have plenty of historical precedence - the only difference is that in the victims of Euro fascist were white, whereas the victims of other fascist violence were yellow, brown, or black. That is why, imho, Euro fascism appears so uniquely horrifying to European and American whites. Case in point: Nazi atrocities in Europe pale in comparison to Japanese atrocities in China, yet the former receive all the attention whereas the latter are barely mentioned. But then again, the victims of the former where white, whereas the victims of the latter where Asian.

If we abandon the ethnocentric view of fascist victimization and stop erroneously believing that fascism is something unique and unprecedented and accept the fact it is something quite common in history, there will be nothing imprecise in calling US right wingers fascists. They are fascist in their hearts, they just happen to operate within the constraints of a liberal state which limits what they can do to their political enemies. But those constraints are not unbreachable (cf. McCarthy)

Wojtek