[lbo-talk] More Rightwing proto-fascism

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 09:26:33 PST 2011

Aimé Césaire made Wojtek's argument a long time ago, but it seems to me that Wojtek's claim that the Japanese atrocities in China (and, by implication, any number of other imperial genocides) dwarfed the Nazi genocide would be hard to establish. (1) Nazis were world class by any standards, unless you want to hold them blameless for the deaths in the war that they, after all, initiated. That raises the number from the canonical six million to tens of millions. It would be hard to make the case that their handiwork was overshadowed by Japan in China, although you could make a case that they are in the same league. (2) Even in the colonial era, the Germans were pretty fucking good génocidaires.

They did manage, after all, to wipe out an entire people in South-West Africa.

Perhaps not as rampagingly genocidal as good old King Leopold, but still, deucedly good. (3) Concentration camps and working to death weren't really the British way.

The Brits specialized in tardy responses to famine, with Amartya Sen's famous 1942 Bengal famine being only the last (and by no means the largest) in a string of famines in India that lasted nearly two centuries. (The 1770 Bengal famine may have killed 10 million out of 30 million - comparable to the Thirty Years' War.) (4) The Western Hemisphere's great dying was by far the biggest of the genocides, although the main culprit was unintentional biological warfare (see Alfred Crosby, Ecological Imperialism). There were cases, like California, where the native populations were intentionally hunted to extinction, and places like the mercury mines of Huancavelica where the workforce was intentionally worked to death, but the vast majority of the work was done by diseases that were badly understood by their carriers. (5) With all of this, there is still something distinct about the Nazi creation of an industrialized machinery of death, the creation of places where efficient and methodical killing was the whole point. That, of course, distinguishes the Nazis from other fascist movements as well. Really, the Italian fascists and the Spanish phalangists weren't in the same league.

----- Original Message ---- From: Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, February 25, 2011 11:04:15 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] More Rightwing proto-fascism

[WS:] I think you are trying to pull wool over my eyes here. You know darn well what time frame I am talking about. So let's be clear on basic facts - the Brits and the Americans were wiping out, enslaving, locking up in concentration camps and working to death entire populations way before the Germans did it in the 1930s. I do not see how these two are different in any other than superficial ways, such as the lethal methods, skin color of their victims, or slogans used to justify their deeds (lebensraum vs. freedom cum democracy - big fucking deal.) I am not even sure if the Germans killed more people than the Brits and the Americans, but then they had fewer years to do it. You may prefer to call one "fascism" and the other one by some other word, but this is a matter of semantics.

Furthermore, as a sociologist you must know that the perceived seriousness of a crime is affected by how much observers identify with the victim. There is tons of research showing that. So why do you object to the idea that perceptions of Nazi and British, American, or Japanese atrocities may be affected by how much the observers identify with their victims?

As to Ragin - I am not writing an academic journal article or even a newspaper article but a comment to an internet chat list for chrissake.

Sheeeesh.....

Wojtek