[lbo-talk] Fwd: [New post] Polarization

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Feb 25 10:50:52 PST 2011

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Michael Pollak wrote:

> there hasn't a narrowing between the parties. But there
> has been an obvious narrowing between the right and left sides of debate.

And I should add that the "narrowing" has all been on one side. In the 60s, the liberals in both parties talked about full employment and free health care while conservatives spouted ludicrously paranoid communist conspiracy theories and demands to go back to the 19C in terms of the welfare state and regulation. Now those liberal options have been shorn off beyond the pale. But the right is saying the same thing about paranoid conspiracy theories and the march back to the 19C -- and saying it more prominently and centrally.

Michael