[lbo-talk] More Rightwing proto-fascism

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 12:31:11 PST 2011

Look, if you want to collapse the diverse dynamics of different European (and, in a previous post, Asian) countries in the 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th colonialism and then collapse that now common pool of relations with the contradictory fascist romanticism about culture/nation and modern technophilia about economy/technology and then collapse all that into the hearts and minds of the (equally homogenized) American right wing, you can, perhaps especially because you are doing it by focusing on violence and morality.

I, on the other hand, find using one term to describe all that as idealist, ahistorical, unbelievably obfuscatory and politically contradictory.

There's no wool and it wouldn't make any difference since you've already closed your eyes to the vast differences between patterns of oppression and legitimation - as well as the wildly alternative contradictions and possibilities for resistance - in 1650, 1862, 1934 and 2008.

I have no idea why you suggest what you do about my perception of "observers", "victims" and "crimes" given that I am the one insisting that social relations were qualitatively different across the eras your collapsing, not you. If you want to make that differentiation then you have to make it and, to my mind, in order to make it you'd have to acknowledge that a huge proportion of the difference in the relationship between the "observers" - what a weird, vague word - the "victims" and the "crimes" might have something to do with intertwined political, economic, cultural and normative changes associated with the rise of modernity, capitalism, utilitarianism, democratic constitutions, science and technology, scientific racism and sexism, new family relations, wage labor, and secularism. But none of these things matter in a world where the vast majority of oppressions are all and equally fascist.

Last, I didn't ask you to write a sociological article, I asked you to apply your sociological knowledge of sociological theory and methods to the disagreement and your stance in it.