[lbo-talk] Helena Sheehan on Libya

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Feb 26 04:25:59 PST 2011

As some people here maybe aware, Helena Sheehan, a noted scholar and teacher on the history and philosophy of science (she is known especially for her book, "Marxism and the Philosophy of Science: A Critical History," (http://webpages.dcu.ie/~sheehanh/mxphsc.htm), had been invited some months ago to deliver a lecture on the philosophy of history in Tripoli. Unfortunately, for her, the lecture date would coincide with the upsurge of civil unrest against the Gadaffy regime. As a consequence, her lecture was (not surprisingly) cancelled, and she found that she had been abandoned by her academic hosts (who were off advising the regime as to what to do), leaving her stuck in her hotel as Tripoli descended into the chaos and violence. that was and is. being perpretated by the regime. Fortunately though, she was able to get out a couple of days ago. Since then she has been giving accounts of what she experienced in Tripoli to the press, such as:

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0225/1224290837264.html

On her Facebook page, Helena writes:

"So much death, destruction and displacement. All ambivalence about that regime gone, gone, gone. It is brutal, corrupt, delusional. Worst days of my life. I have kept myself on high energy to tell the story. Need to wind down soon. Not even sure how traumatised I am."

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math ____________________________________________________________ Dermatologists Hate Her Clever Mom Uses $5 Trick to Erase Wrinkles and Look Younger Instantly. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d68f197a04b953d3d9st05vuc