[lbo-talk] Fwd: L'ennemi a maintenant un nom

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 08:21:15 PST 2011

I'm not such an avid fan of Pilger or Chomsky as I used to be, but I liked these closing lines from a recent piece by Pilger, (via JC Helary):

> How did such extremism take hold in the liberal West? "It is necessary
> to destroy hope, idealism, solidarity, and concern for the poor and
> oppressed," observed Noam Chomsky a generation ago, "[and] to replace
> these dangerous feelings with self-centred egoism, a pervasive
> cynicism that holds that [an order of] inequities and oppression is
> the best that can be achieved. In fact, a great international
> propaganda campaign is under way to convince people -- particularly
> young people -- that this not only is what they should feel but that
> it's what they do feel."
>
> Like the European revolutions of 1848 and the uprising against
> Stalinism in 1989, the Arab revolt has rejected fear. An insurrection
> of suppressed ideas, hope and solidarity has begun. In the United
> States, where 45 per cent of young African-Americans have no jobs and
> the top hedge fund managers are paid, on average, a billion dollars a
> year, mass protests against cuts in services and jobs have spread to
> heartland states like Wisconsin. In Britain, the fastest-growing
> modern protest movement, UK Uncut, is about to take direct action
> against tax avoiders and rapacious banks. Something has changed that
> cannot be unchanged. The enemy has a name now.

This week's New Yorker has a cartoon with a bunch of rich guys standing around at a party. One says: "I'm thrilled that the aspirations of the oppressed might be fulfilled over there but very concerned that it might spread to over here."

SA

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: L'ennemi a maintenant un nom Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 01:03:54 +0900 From: brandelune at gmail.com Reply-To: discussions-a-gauche at googlegroups.com To: discussions-a-gauche at googlegroups.com

J'ai trouvé cet article en anglais dans le mail d'une discussion sur PEN-L.

http://original.antiwar.com/pilger/2011/02/24/behind-the-arab-revolt-is-a-word-we-dare-not-speak/

Ça vaut le coup de le lire tranquillement.

JC