[lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 14:47:41 PST 2011

The Swiftian connection indeed clear here, but poor folks have been selling their blood for decades, women have been selling their hair for even longer, prostitutes have been selling their bodies more or less forever, and virtually all of us sell, or rent, ourselves to our employers, so one more ingenious means of exploiting the exploitable is mere piling on by now. Wouldn't much of this milk come from relatively affluent women who don't breast feed anyway? And why would human breast milk be uniquely healthy once it is put to commercial use? I would suspect the pasteurization and refinement of the product to make it safe for all would destroy many of its uniquely beneficial properties. I'm still waiting for the implementation of the proposal that I read about in Fast Company at the height of the dot.comboom and during the heyday of Enron: The commodification of the individual by allowing her or him to to sell shares in themselves. It's bound to happen.