[lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Feb 26 15:36:53 PST 2011

I am arguing that in this world, such as it is right now, this "deal" is a bad deal.

My point is that nobody wants to give it away to anyone but hungry infants.

And money-wise, nobody would want to sell it either, unless they were quite desperate. It is in the context of this desperation that I am making my argument.

Your hypothetical, that someone would sell milk for $13 and give the money to La Leche, is just that.

It does not reflect the actual reality of this situation.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:48:44 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

Joanna asks:

> Use your imagination: in what context do you think a woman
> will sell her breast milk for ice cream?

So is this issue -- the "Baby Gaga" ice cream flavor -- all about getting a good deal? And you presume that the women wouldn't get a good deal, so that makes it bad. Am I following you right?

Yes, let's use our imagination.

[...]
> All kinds of women volunteer to do this.
[...]
> I'm guessing it takes about a cup of milk to make enough ice
> cream for an ice cream cone. A cup of milk is about what a
> two-month old needs for one feeding.

The store in London is paying about $1.60/oz so that cup of milk is about $13. When you give it away it's called 'volunteering' but when you sell it for $13, that's exploitation?

> So, a poor woman would need to produce enough milk for her
> child, and then extra for ice cream.

Or extra for volunteering. But what if instead of volunteering directly she sold her 'extra' cup to the ice cream shop and gave the $13 to La Leche? I presume they need more than just milk to make their organization go.

Would it be okay if the women involved had to *pay* to do it, and thus it would only really be open to *rich* dillitantes who were doing it for their own thrill? That is, if there was no exploitation involved. You know, like if we used our imagination.

Just trying to find the parameters of your complaint.

/jordan