[lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Feb 26 18:53:06 PST 2011

Oh, I see, this is like that joke where a guy asks a woman if she'd do whatever for a million dollars and she says yes, and then he asks her if she'd do it for ten, and she says what sort of girl do you think I am, and he says that has been established, now we're just talking about price.

When you're feeding 8-12 times you day, the baby is not getting eight oz each time. Also, that rate of feeding only happens during "growth spurts," which happen every three to six weeks.

A quart of milk over a day AND feed a baby. I don't think so. Twins are not that common and women who have them barely make it through, they often need to supplement their own milk. And in what world is a poor, working mother idle 88% of the time? You have no clue about the work involved in raising a child.

My point though was about this practice today, in the current context, as another example of the rich consuming the working class.

You want to argue that making the price high enough would make this a preferrable form of exploitation? Whatever. Sure. Why not? Isn't that what we live for? To be the highest class whores we can be?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:59:56 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

Joanna writes:

> Look, this isn't about a high class hooker making a
> thousand dollars for two-hour date.

Ok, just so long as you're still talking about price and not what she's gotta do for the $1k. I know there's a lot of things I've turned down in my life to do for $500/hr.

> This is about a lactating mother making about seven bucks
> for a cup of breast milk.

Well, like I said, it's $13 ($1.60 * 8; a cup is still 8oz, even in London; whodathunk? I think they really mean "1GBP/oz" but still). And really, we're just dealing with a single data point, so there's not much of a 'market price' that has been discovered. But okay.

> Best case scenario, she could make about 20 bucks a day.

Really? I thought it's not uncommon to feed 8-12 times per day; most of the things I looked at said to be prepared for ~2hr feeding cycles, so that's got to at least be in the middle realm of possibility. And of course feeding twins is not an uncommon situation at all. And the more you feed, the more you produce: bonus! Kind of a supply and demand kind of deal.

Oh, I hate doing this, but how about some facts?

http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-long-does-pumping-take_8916.bc

So that looks like maybe 8-9oz in ~15 minutes. Now clearly you can't get a quart in a particular hour, but you certainly could get one over the course of a "work day" that is 88% idle.

What if the woman *was the owner of the ice cream store* and that $22/scoop (again, probably 14GBP) retail price was pure, uh, creamy profit?

> To what kind of woman do you think 20 bucks/day would make a
> difference?

$20 for a very part-time job is, as you know, pretty good in this economy. But this isn't about me; this is about you: if it were $100 would your position be different? At what price point would your objection cease?

Thanks,

/jordan