[lbo-talk] Yoga -- Not as Old as You Think

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 08:26:35 PST 2011

Fernando: "I come across Indian software programmers on mailing lists all the time, many seem a bit rude and "demand" answers to their questions -on a silver platter if possible with very little thinking about the problem on their part- ("I need to know how to do this. I need an answer quickly", and when you answer with links to documentation you hear back "Thanks. But how do I do this?". IMHO they seem to have very little of this ancestral patience and temperance."

[WS:] An acquaintance of mine who herself is an India-born scientist expresses similar opinions of her compatriots - but I find that not surprising. Many FOBs are vocally critical of their old countries.

Based on my experience, many Indians whom I met tended to be very good at listening to their interlocutor and then eloquently telling him(her) what they thought he/she wanted to hear, often merely repeating and embellishing what the interlocutor had told them. It is a remarkable social skill to be sure, but it also creates an illusion of extraordinary intellectual capacity.

Of course this is not imply any general characteristics or judgments - just sharing my own experience.

Wojtek