[lbo-talk] Yoga -- Not as Old as You Think

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 09:49:43 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> My god, it's still a very poor country. At least it's coming up in the world, unlike certain South American countries that I'm too polite to name.

Surely not the soutrhern cone ones... :-P

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ar.html

Life expectancy at birth: total population: 76.76 years country comparison to the world: 66 male: 73.52 years female: 80.17 years (2010 est.)

Literacy: definition: age 15 and over can read and write total population: 97.2% male: 97.2% female: 97.2% (2001 census)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cone#Education_and_standards_of_living

--- The other conspicuous characteristic of the Southern Cone is its relatively high standard of living and quality of life. Chile's, Argentina’s, and Uruguay's HDIs—(0.878), (0.866), and (0.866)—are the highest in Latin America, similar to those of the richest countries in Eastern Europe, such as Slovenia, Croatia or Hungary.[63] Uruguay, where illiteracy technically doesn't exist, reaches the same level in this area, even considering that it faces restrictions to its industrial and economic growth. High life expectancy, health and education access, significant participation in the global markets and the emerging economy profile of its members make the Southern Cone the most prosperous macro-region in Latin America.[64] ---

But it´s our little secret, don´t tell anyone, or Uncle Sam will flood us with American cheap pizza chains and trash food. No wait, Domino´s and Donkin Donuts came, and flopped.

;-) FC