[lbo-talk] "I Won't Pay" movement grips debt-ridden Greece

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 27 11:43:45 PST 2011

On Feb 27, 2011, at 2:01 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Michael Lewis had a long article in Vanity Fair that argued Greece's problems stemmed from the universal refusal to pay taxes and an actually bloated govt payroll. Public employees making 3X private incomes.
>
> I have no idea of any of this is true. Anyone out there have reliable info about the situation in Greece?

I interviewed Yanis Varoufakis after that Michael Lewis piece came out. He said some of it's true, some isn't.

http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#S100909

Lewis is really good at that sort of thing, even if a bit sloppy and caricatured. His piece on Ireland in the latest VF is very funny, though, like Greece, about a sad topic.