[lbo-talk] Merit Pay

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 09:56:48 PST 2011

[WS:] it is possible if you define it in terms of output rather than outcome. For example, you can specify that the teacher will deliver X hours of instruction that meet objectively defined criteria (output). However, if specify it by what students will learn - which btw is the bullshit language embedded in most American curricula - you are pretty much screwed.

The problem is that the bullshit that they spoon feed people in management schools about 'accountability' 'performance evaluation' and 'outcomes' (I would not use the word "teach" to describe this gobbledygook) has sunk so deeply in the American collective psyche that nobody even thinks about questioning its merits, let also call it for what it is - bullshit that looks good only on paper. The management crowd that is on the receiving end of this drivel is only half of the problem, the academia and management gurus that supply it is the other half.

Wojtek