[lbo-talk] Was Signing online, now the Egyptian option

jam amvojo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 10:47:43 PST 2011

Fyi - it is crazy at the wi Capitol right now. I am no longer in town (we were able to stick around until last night's climactic battle to keep the building), but friends report that walker and the legislature have illegally barred entry into the Capitol unless an appointment has been made. Furthermore, a sympathetic member of the assembly has also been denied entry (she has also invited people to request appointmemts with her). All reports so far indicate that people have not yet been removed - possibly due to police 'disobedience'? It's not clear who is doing what, but there is a certain urgency right now - Not that you'd know from the media...speaking of which, did anybody know that at least 100k showed up in Madison on Saturday - (although there seems to be no official estimate)? My own unscientific estimation is that there were at least half again as many on 2/26 as there were on 2/19 - every paved space was covered by people - the streets, sidewalks, stairways, and promenade around the building, as well as thousands in the Capitol (15-30 minutes to enter).

Best wishes,

Joshua On Feb 25, 2011 1:23 AM, "jam" <amvojo at gmail.com> wrote:
> A rather nuanced take on things in Madison ...
> http://www.solidarity-us.org/current/node/3172
> On Feb 25, 2011 12:41 AM, "jam" <amvojo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If my meanderings on LBO-talk last weekend are any indication, I might
not
>> be the most reliable source of information for now...and I've been out of
>> town (but in state) since Monday night (family and I will return to
> madison
>> tomorrow eve)
>>
>> Some quick observations -
>>
>> Walker is attempting to break the current stalemate with the threat of
>> layoffs; furthermore, there is a Friday deadline for refinancing $165
>> million of debt - the single largest financial component of the budget
>> repair plan (http://www.jsonline.com/business/116632753.html<
> http://www.jsonline.com/business/116632753.html>).
>> There is also some degree of confusion about how exactly the concessions
>> demanded from teachers will actually affect state and local budgets;
> either
>> way, the administration's justification for undoing collective bargaining
>> rights for teacher unions is that the state will likely reduce funding to
>> districts by $500 *per pupil* and individual districts need to be able
>> to push drastic changes (layoffs) without resistance. With his
credibility
>> compromised recently, it will be interesting to see how he follows
through
>> with his layoff threats.
>>
>> Some of the demonstrations, while smaller, have been more targeted (e.g.
>> Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce, the local Koch office) while
general
>> demonstrations around and inside the capitol continue. There are constant
>> rumors that the capitol will be cleared of occupiers on this or that
night
> -
>> the latest is that, according to an exchange between a reporter and
> somebody
>> (?) from capitol police, the capitol police may attempt to retake the
>> capitol at 2am on Sunday morning, but many such rumors have passed
without
>> incident.
>>
>> It had been encouraging to see how the signs and posters evolved over
last
>> weekend to be more aggressive and less personal. On wednesday 2/16 it
>> seemed like many of the signs and chants were about how terrible Scott
>> Walker was; by saturday and sunday, a larger proportion of signs, chants,
>> and conversations were infused with messages of class, solidarity, and
> more
>> cogent, organized attacks on the bill - we saw signs that read "World
Wide