[lbo-talk] Investment in Libya

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Feb 28 20:35:44 PST 2011

On Mon, February 28, 2011 8:01 pm, Peter Fay wrote:

> 1) The 'democrats' revolting in Libya are not waving the Libyan flag (as
> the Egyptians waved the Egyptian flag), but instead the Libyan Monarchist
> flag

No, it's the flag of the newly independent Libya, created when it won freedom from colonial occupation.

> 3) Libya is only ostensibly a nation-state, rather than a Ottoman-Italian
> patching together of three separate regions.

This is Orientalist nonsense. Libyans have gone through decades of nationhood, urbanization and industrialization.

> 5) Qaddafi's forces are brutal and ruthless. And undemocratic. But they
> also fight to the end.

No they don't. They're murderous, cowardly swine, good only at shooting unarmed protestors with .50 weaponry. The videos are all over Youtube, just do a search or click on <http://www.libyafeb17.com/>. The people of Libya are going to defeat the dictator who robbed them blind for 40 years, and I salute their courage and determination in standing up to a dreadful tyrant.

-- DRR