[lbo-talk] Austerity

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 10:27:08 PST 2011

[WS:] I think there is more into it. The ass-kissing of the rich and stern disciplining of the poor is an integral part of the American mainstream culture, like baseball and apple pie. Johns Kenneth Galbraith captured that spirit when he observed that the rich are not working if they do not have enough, and the poor are not working because they have too much. This mentality of 'welfare queen" bashing brought victories in the past (the Reagan "revolution") and will likely bring them again (passage of austerity measures.)

I agree with Carrol that many Americans are not simply brainwashed. They are despicable sociopaths who would say that it is raining when the rich spit in their faces and then turn around and for shits and giggles kick a walker of an old bag lady. Such attitudes seem quite widely spread among college graduates.

Wojtek