[lbo-talk] Shamir

rob at riseup.net rob at riseup.net
Tue Jan 4 01:22:32 PST 2011

I also object to Shamir's articles being sent over this list. He is a far-rightist infiltrating the left. More on him can be found here: On Israel Shamir: http://contested-terrain.net/on-israel-shamir/ But I think Chip downplays the problems when he calls Counterpunch "stupid" for running Shamir's text. Counterpunch always runs Shamir's texts. Just look at their website. Counterpunch has a history of promoting and trivializing antisemitism, and Alexander Cockburn has explicitly expressed interest in reaching out to the right. On Counterpunch's promotion of antisemitism, the most recent example is their publishing of a text attempting to modernize the blood- libel. (See here: http://adamholland.blogspot.com/2009/09/blood-libel- promoted-by-counterpunch.htm). On their trivialization of antisemitism see Michael Neumann's "What is Antisemitism?" (http://www.counterpunch.org/neumann0604.html) where he writes: "Undoubtedly there is genuine antisemitism in the Arab world: the distribution of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, the myths about stealing the blood of gentile babies. This is utterly inexcusable. So was your failure to answer Aunt Bee’s last letter." On the topic of “hatred against Jews,” Neumann writes, “Some of this hatred is racist, some isn’t, but who cares? Why should we pay any attention to this issue at all?” And on Alexander Cockburn's efforts to form a left-right alliance see here: "25 Years After Vietnam: Beyond Left and Right" (http:// www.counterpunch.org/leftlibertarian.html) In it he writes: “What I’m sure is attractive about the idea of the left-right opposition to war is the idea of a shared moral outlook, which of course then has to confront or perhaps gloss over temporarily economic and political differences. And I think the shared moral outlook should extend beyond war into other very, important areas.” -rob