[lbo-talk] it was punk rock that set him off

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 11 12:47:22 PST 2011

On Jan 11, 2011, at 3:40 PM, c.berlet at publiceye.org wrote:

> "Some people who study right-wing militia groups and those who align
> themselves with the so-called Patriot movement said Mr. Loughner’s
> comments on subjects like the American currency and the Constitution,
> which he posted online in various video clips, were strikingly similar in
> language and tone to the voices of the Internet’s more paranoid, extremist
> corners."

Yale's 06520 blog notes:

<http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/blog/?p=8641>

Arizona shooting suspect ‘possibly linked’ to Yalie-led white nationalist group

Posted by Carole Bass '83, '97MSL on January 9, 2011, 6:14 pm

The man accused of shooting Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and 18 others may have been influenced by a self-styled white nationalist organization founded by a Yalie, Fox News reports.

According to a “law enforcement memo based on information provided by” the federal Department of Homeland Security, “strong suspicion is being directed” at American Renaissance, led by Jared Taylor ‘73, Fox says.

While acknowledging that there is “no direct connection,” Fox quotes the memo saying that suspect Jared Loughner “is possibly linked to this group. (through videos posted on his MySpace and YouTube account.). The group’s ideology is anti-government, anti-immigration, anti-ZOG (Zionist Occupational Government), anti-Semitic.”

Taylor, however, told Fox that he never heard of Loughner until Saturday. The memo is “so hopelessly wrong” that he doubts its genuineness, he writes on the AmRen website:

No one by the name of Loughner has ever been a subscriber to American Renaissance or has ever registered for an American Renaissance conference. We have no evidence that he has even visited the AR website.

American Renaissance condemns violence in the strongest possible terms, and nothing that has ever appeared in it pages could be interpreted as countenancing it.

AR is not anti-government, anti-Semitic, or anti-ZOG, as is clear from the 20 years of back issues that are posted on our website. The expression “ZOG” has never appeared in the pages of AR, and we have has always welcomed Jewish participation in our work. Many of the speakers at American Renaissance conferences have been Jewish.

Also from the organization’s website, the following recent headlines and accompanying commentary:

Ex-CIA Officer Charged With Leak to Times Reporter Disgruntled black CIA agent retaliates against agency by betraying secrets.

Judge Orders U.S. to Supply Mentally Deficient Illegal Immigrants With Lawyers to Fight Deportation We apparently need more retarded people in this country.

Buoys Strung on Border Canal to Prevent Drownings Illegals must not be allowed to drown when they break into our country.

Man Attacked By Kids At L’Enfant Metro—Bystanders Watch, Film It (Video) Black girl attacks white man.