[lbo-talk] that hatey, killy, reloady thing

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Jan 11 15:35:59 PST 2011

>From Salon:

``Thus, the `climate of violence' argument feels to me like a backdoor way for some on the left to attach blame to Palin and the Tea Party anyway. I might be more sympathetic to it if someone could explain how, precisely, it worked in this case: What specific evidence is there that the `climate' was relevant to Loughner's thinking?''

http://www.salon.com/news/gabrielle_giffords/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2011/01/11/culture_violence_giffords_poll

A quick answer comes from the Pima County sheriff Clarence Dupnik whose been there fifty years in some capacity or other in law enforcement.

```When the rhetoric about hatred, about mistrust of government, about paranoia of how government operates, and to try to inflame the public on a daily basis, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it has impact on people especially who are unbalanced personalities,' Dupnik said Saturday night.''

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/10/dupnik-friends-critics-remarks-arizona-shooting/

There is always the question, if hate politics of the right had nothing to do with it then why did Loughner choose Giffords who defeated her Tea Party, gun toting opposition? And, just to engage my own unfair smear campaign, if Palin didn't feel responsible in some rhetorical way, why did she get her target page removed?

``Hey, Sarah Palin, hows that hatey, killy, reloady, crosshairsy thing working out for ya?'' (Frank Conniff)

Then there is the other thing, usually coming from Democrats about how we all have to tone it down. I find this hilarious since Democratic officials almost never deliver strident, resentful, character smears, followed up with massive assaults of attack ads. They usually do pretty much like the Obama administration. Their actual political conduct is mealy mouthed nonsense with a corporate favor in the fine print. As for the so-called left, most of the things I've read use ridicule, sarcasm, and humor, or they take the sociology approach.

As for the polls quoted in the Salon essay that a majority in the US don't think the political climate had anything to do with Loughner's murders, what more needs be said? Those surveyed don't want to look at their own collective responsibility for anything bad about society.

CG