[lbo-talk] it was punk rock that set him off

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:11:14 PST 2011

jc:  "I've actually read Evola (for a senior project on the Grail), but am afraid I have no idea how he factors into this. If anything, it seems to me that he would have found the eugenicism of outfits like AR distastefully materialistic, if not potentially egalitarian. Care to enlighten?"

fm:  I've read his "Revolt Against the Modern World."  And it's true that Evola would probably have seen the American Renaissance's positions as egalitarian.  Evola is more concerned with preservation of the racial caste system and in particular the preservation of the warrior caste of which he believed he came from rather than anything as vulgar as a national racial identity.  By the time the question has come down to a national racial identity or even a concept like "the white race" the battle at least for Evola has already been lost.  Still, that did not stop Evola from lecturing in the service of both Italian and German fascism.  And his ideas have been appropriated by the French New Right into, as you put it, a more egalitarian vision of racial preservation which I believe groups like the American Renaissance subscribe to.  I'd love to read Evola's book on The Grail and even more so his book on Tibetan Buddhism.

jc:  "And what's the ongoing zio-nazi debate? I may have missed that one."

You can start here if you're interested:

http://www.counterpunch.org/brenner1223.html

As I said, I bowed out a long time ago.  Not from the from the Palestine Solidarity Movement but from this particular debate.

fm