[lbo-talk] Surowecki on unions

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:32:56 PST 2011

Joanna: "The notion that the problem with education is unions is taken by many as common sense and trumpeted by the media everywhere. So here's the situation: teachers are miserably paid, working under horrendous conditions, have low status that is now further diminished because everything is their fault, and are threatened with job loss, health care loss, and pension loss in an economy where unemployment is about 20%. I don't think these people are passive, but demoralized and terrified they most definitely are."

[WS:] I get a similar impression from my wife, who is a teacher in Montgomery County Public Schools.

Wojtek