[lbo-talk] AFL-CIO cites biz leader in support of HCR

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 14 09:39:51 PST 2011

http://blog.aflcio.org/2011/01/13/biz-leader-says-health-care-repeal-would-leave-us-worse-off/

Biz Leader Says Health Care Repeal Would Leave Us ‘Worse Off’

by Mike Hall, Jan 13, 2011

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true—with lots of bad consequences. The leader of a Big Business group says CEOs and other corporate leaders joining the Republican call for the repeal of health care reform should heed that warning.

Helen Darling, president of the National Business Group on Health, a group of about 300 large firms, tells the Wall Street Journal’s (subscription required) David Wessel:

If they really understood it, they wouldn’t [repeal health care reform]. I don’t think we’ll get a better solution in the U.S. in our lifetime. If it gets repealed, or gutted, we’ll have to start over and we’ll be worse off.

BTW, Darling is no closet liberal in the corporate world. She is a former Republican Senate staffer and corporate benefits administrator.

Wessel’s column goes on to explore some of the benefits and cost savings health care reform offers businesses that he says could lead the way to changes in the American health care system.

That will pay dividends to everyone, including employers and workers who pay for insurance….Talking about repeal of the health law may be a winning strategy for Republicans…as long as they don’t succeed in doing it.