[lbo-talk] Inside Job

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 10:28:37 PST 2011

I think this movie was mentioned briefly on this list.

It's a documentary about the economic meltdown/hijaking. It's crystalline in explaining what happened and in describing the basic criminality of the leading players (govt included). My favorite part was the part where he shows how the academic economists have been completely corrupted by finance. This involved having a lot of ivy league snots denying that being paid large amounts of money by investment banks had any relations to their evaluation of the soundness of policies of same banks. It is also a fabulous study of human physiognomy -- that of the jackals among us and of their apologists. (Carrol will say it's the system and that there are no evil people. Of course. Still, the system leaves its marks, and these marks are fascinating for any painter, psychologist, etc. )

I liked it because it didn't have the faux populist outrage of Michael Moore's films (which I do mostly like), but was rather sober and straightforward. I avoided it for a while because I thought it would be depressing, but actually it wasn't. And, after enough people whose opinions I trust told me it was a good movie, I just went.

Joanna