[lbo-talk] against civility

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 19:55:45 PST 2011

Doug: "Systemic analysis is fine but it's important to see how repulsive the ruling class is."

[WS:] No doubt - "Inside job" shows that quite well. However, if the only thing that one can muster against them is rude words - this amounts to empty threats and betrays powerlessness. But if one can actually do something against them - one does not need to be rude.

This reminds me of a line from the Scorsese flick "Goodfellas" in which one of the characters says something along the lines that when the mob decides to kill someone they do not curse or argue with him, but come to him smiling. Real power does not need rude words - it can act and a mere hint of that capability often suffices to make others comply. Only those who cannot act have a use of rudeness to intimidate their opponents. This pertains to the likes of Beck and Palin - who cannot do jack shit to their political enemies (thanks to the protections guaranteed by the liberal state) so they scream at them to scare them off or to whip their audience into frenzy.

Wojtek