[lbo-talk] Charles Bowden

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 10:46:27 PST 2011

It could be I need to give it another try. I don't know. I'm not saying this is an informed opinion. I tried reading a lot of his books, but Gravity's Rainbow was the only one I got through.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Angelus Novus" <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:33:58 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Charles Bowden

Joanna wrote:

> I thought Gravity's Rainbow was brilliant, but I never especially
> liked his writing. I found it very cold.

Wow, I'm not sure what "cold" is supposed to mean here.

I find labels like "hallucinatory" are often misapplied, but I found Gravity's Rainbow to be the one book I've ever read where it really applies because it immerses the reader completely in its universe.

Particularly the passages where the Soviet officer is sent to a Central Asian republic to teach an alphabet. Reading that part was so vivid to me, it was like a waking dream.

"Cold" to me suggests the exact opposite of such an experience.