[lbo-talk] John Ross, 1938-2011

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Jan 18 18:16:34 PST 2011

I hadn't seen John Ross in years - used to talk to him and see him now & then about 15 years ago. Wonderful, fascinating guy. Sad. 72 doesn't sound so old to me anymore.

I never met him, but heard of him, forgot the name, but his profile was astonishingly like some art friends of my stepfather in LA and Guadalajara. There is a true grit quality to these guys that is hard to miss in their physical nature, the beatings they took and even gave themselves in their politics, drugs, alcohol, and various tobaccos, their ancient sweaters, goofy hats, the gravel of their voices and the extraordinarily hard beauty of their works and lives.

I was following some of the obits today and musing. Hard to imagine anybody with the full balls and or foolishness to live like that. I sure couldn't and have only vague memories of a very few who did once upon a time. None lasted much after 60 let alone 72 and even some of their kids cashed out before 40.

I was encouraged actually. Hard to say why. You can live to 72 on the fringe of poverty, politics, intellectual edges, and numerous fronts of revolt and do art, music and or poetry. Hell yeah.

CG