[lbo-talk] John Ross, 1938-2011

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:54:30 PST 2011

On 1/18/2011 10:24 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> What is "it"? Life in general? Writing? Enjoying life? Could you specify a
> bit.
>
> It's true that at the age of 12 I didn't feel abused using an outdoor
> toilet. But I was never exactly happy about it -- and I couldn't tolerate it
> now!

Judging from other responses, I think this discussion will have a hard time (to slip into social science jargon) separating cohort effects from age effects. Obviously various things get harder with age. What I'm interested in is comparing, say, 30 year-olds in 1970 with 30 year-olds in 2010. The things I'm talking about are those that Doug refers to: living on the margins, slipping into and out of formal employment, all in the pursuit of some non-lucrative activity. Hasn't it gotten harder?

SA