[lbo-talk] Charles Bowden

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 19 12:54:57 PST 2011

I think perhaps Eric chose the wrong word but is on to something. Most writers most of the time give the reader passages that allow him/her (the reader) to agree (or to feel agreement) with the author; in the case of works grounded in ironworks grounded in iron we say of such sentences that "the mask drops," as when in A Modest Proposal the Progjector remarks that the meat will be especially appropriate for landlords, who as they have eaten up half the population .... (rough paraphrase from memory). The reader can triumphantly agree with ths. Swift doesn't offer such occasions in A Tale of a Tub, nor does Milton in Paradise Regained (sic: regainend, not lost) -- both of which are simply as well written as it is possible for English to be, and both of which have 'turned off' many readers. Austen's Mansfield Park similarly offers the reader no place to comfortably agree with the narrator, and it is Austen's best book. Readers are comfortable with Austen's Emma because the misinterpret it, thinking both they and Austen are "looking down" on Emma's mistakes. Austen isn't: what Austen sees is a powerful intellect, trapped in a fog of stupidity, and thrashing around trying to find a use for her intellect. I think all these writers are "cold" in Joanna's sense of the word, but I'm as bothered by her word choice as I am by Eric's.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Eric Beck Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:42 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Charles Bowden

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Joanna wrote:
>
>> I thought Gravity's Rainbow was brilliant, but I never especially
>> liked his writing. I found it very cold.
>
> Wow, I'm not sure what "cold" is supposed to mean here.

I agree with all of what you say here, but I think I know what Joanna's getting at. Pynchon is completely unsentimental and doesn't give the reader a lot to hold on to or a temporary refuge to hide in. He's not Dickens. Or even Faulkner.

But as you say, he creates incredible worlds. And he's written some of the finest sentences in English.

Okay, maybe there are occasional refuges:

"And past the exhaustion with it there is also this. If they have not quite seceded from war's state, at least they've found the beginnings of gentle withdrawal . . . there's never been the space or time to talk about it, and perhaps the need - but both know, clearly, it's better together, snuggled in, than back out in the paper, fires, khaki, steel of the Home Front. That, indeed, the Home Front is something of a fiction and lie, designed, not too subtly, to draw them apart, to subvert love in favor of work, abstraction, required pain, bitter death.

They have found a house in the stay-away zone, under the barrage balloons south of London. The town, evacuated in '40, is still "regulated" - still on the Ministry's list. Roger and Jessica occupy the place illegally, in a defiance they can never measure unless they're caught. Jessica has brought an old doll, seashells, her aunt's grip filled with lace knickers and silk stockings. Roger's managed to scare up a few chickens to nest in the empty garage. Whenever they meet here, one always remembers to bring a fresh flower or two. The nights are filled with explosion and motor transport, and wind that brings them up over the downs a last smack of the sea. Day begins with a hot cup and a cigarette over a little table with a weak leg that Roger has repaired, provisionally, with brown tine. There's never much talk but touches and looks, smiles together, curses for parting. It is marginal, hungry, chilly - most times they're too paranoid to risk a fire - but it's something they want to keep, so much that to keep it, they will take on more than propaganda has ever asked them for. They are in love. Fuck the war."