[lbo-talk] Mark Ames uncorks

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Sat Jan 22 19:42:29 PST 2011

On Jan 22, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> A brutal, stupid social arrangement produces brutal, stupid
> people--that *is* a shock.
>
> This piece has all the hallmarks of pwog think: misestimation of the
> "problem" (the left, without or without the scare quotes, loathes
> Americans as much as the right, and for all the wrong reasons);
> overestimation of the bad thing (Fox News is watched by at most five
> percent of the population); a "romantic, naive, sentimental
> understanding" of Other Places (the reference to Denmark, the European
> ideal that the weaselly left loves to oppose to the American real);
> masculinist throwaways ("never having the guts"; "less cowardly than
> he really is"); the belief that cultural, intellectual attainment is
> the solution to all of it.
>
> Liberals.

First, I don't think that DH wrote any of this. Second. I'd like someone to help me understand how this Elmer Fuddism of progressive [pwog] came into being. Third. Well ... I don't see how the individual who Marx envisioned arising from the working class could fail to have liberal and conservative values as part of their character. It appears that you are attempting to brutalize 'liberals' and 'progressives'. But perhaps you intended satire.

martin