[lbo-talk] Politics of DIY

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jan 23 10:39:19 PST 2011

At 12:47 PM 1/23/2011, Ferenc Molnar wrote:
>I suspect that the same thing will occur with the DIY culture going on
>today; most of it will evaporate and some of it will change the way we see
>things.

nah. i grew up on the heels of the 70s back to land stuff. we grew gardens. knitted. everyone started eating honey. you couldn't go anywhere without someone throwing wheat germ on top of the food or mixing it into your meat loaf. oh! i can remember an older friend making skirts out of old jeans - the bell bottom kind.

30 years later, they are discovering gardening, knitting, making skirts out of old jeans, sweaters out of patched together strips of old sweaters (that still smell like Sally's Boutique).... as if no one ever gardened, knitted, repurposed old clothes, or realized that canned and refined food might not be so healthy or tasty. All with a vengeance such that it's become a project that requires a youtube documentary about how fantastically exciting and world-transforming it all is!