[lbo-talk] Politics of DIY

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 23 11:20:47 PST 2011

Eric Beck:

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> But was the last time you saw a true revolution made by artists and
hippies?.

When was the last time you saw a true revolution that didn't turn out badly?

----

(I haven't read anything on DIY yet and ha ve not the slightest idea what it is. I'm only concerned with Eric's statement.]

To know whether any human action turned out well or badly, you need to know what was possible under the given conditions as well as what the alternatives to the action were. Eric's statement ignores this fundamental point entirely. What wa possible under the conditions of the Russian, Chinese, & Cuban Revolutions was to (a) abolish varying forms of peonage as well as the direct subordination of the whole to foreign capital, (b) include women in the human race, and (3) establish the basis for a capitalist economy. Those were great accomplishments. That both those who made the revolutions or those who kibitz from outside aimed at something more, which did not materialize, is irrelevant.

Carrol