[lbo-talk] Politics of DIY

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 15:24:27 PST 2011

Doug writes:

"I agree on aesthetics - American life is often very ugly, and that matters. But if I have to make my own clothes, you can keep your revolution."

I don't see that it follows that you have to make your own clothes.

When I lived in Romania (1954-1963), there was no consumer market of any kind. People either made their own clothes or had a skilled family member make them, or had tailors make it for them. (I mean, cmon, people have been dressing for many thousands of years before capitalism.) My mother owned at best half a dozen dresses. They were tailor-made, they were really beautiful, and they fit her perfectly. Since there were lots of people who needed clothes, there were lots of people with the skills to make them. And, given a choice between making clothes for an individual or working in a sweatshop (which I have done), I'd much rather work for an individual.

People think of communism as gray and dingy, but I don't remember it like that at all.

And the point that hand-made clothes are of much, much higher quality than sweatshop-made clothes is not to be dismissed. There's an overall, long-term efficiency thing going on here (both in terms of natural resources and human time) that you're all missing.

Also, the implied idea that working with your head is much preferrable to working with your hands is nauseating.

J.