[lbo-talk] Mark Ames uncorks

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 25 19:26:44 PST 2011

Living in a country or visiting it is no grounds at all for claiming knowledge of the country as a whole. The personal experience of Dennis, Dou, Carrol, et al is irrelevant to this. What is relevant is what we've read about the U.S. -- including what Doug has written as a journalist -- as _one_ journalist. And anyone who knows English can read the same things we do. In fact¸ many European leftists seem to know a good deal about left writings in English, while very few U.S. leftists, it seems, have very much acquainted with continental left theorists and historians. Zizek doesn't count.

That used to be one of the defenses of the Vietnam War. It's critics hadn't _been_ there.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Dennis Claxton Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:07 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org; lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Mark Ames uncorks

At 02:54 PM 1/25/2011, Angelus Novus wrote:

>and you guys want to change the subject to welfare state provisions
>and health insurance. I didn't make any claims concerning those,
>and even conceded in an earlier post a long time ago

In the U.S., in case you've never been here and don't know the term, what you're saying here is a cop-out.

I do remember you made a vague concession "in an earlier post a long time ago." That came after months and years of exchanges that did have to do with your broader claims about how pollyanna leftists in the u.s. just don't know what time it is.

So give us a break with the "who me?" bullshit.