[lbo-talk] Baby sitting coops?

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:11:54 PST 2011

A friend of mine told me about the Green Lantern Dinner club umm somewhere in Mass? (speaking from unreliable memory) No longer in existence. They rented a cheap building. You could get two meals a day. The no money cost option was to work umm one day a week? Two days a week? Something like that. Or you could pay and work less. (Paying members were important cause they covered cost of food, renting the building, power and so on.) Also people could walk in off the street and pay for a meal, treating it as a diner. Not particularly cheap, but some people enjoyed the atmosphere and "meal at a time" customers provided revenue that helped keep everyone else's costs low. It served two groups simultaneously: really was cheaper than buying groceries for very poor people willing to pay in labor. Also was an inexpensive way to get reasonably healthy meals for people (mostly but not only men) who either did not know how to cook or hated to cook. Many of these were not poor, but just wanted to eat all their meals out without spending a fortune and still getting something both healthy and tasty. The vast majority of those at the Green Lantern were subscribers who ate two meals a day there every day for either of those reasons.