[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 26 07:32:27 PST 2011

"Present as history"

The present simply does not explain itself. And the complaints about the present _in_ the present have a wonderful record of proving to be nonsense.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:28 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

On Jan 26, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> Yup, its the teachers'/professors' fault for not mandating greater rigor
> (and I know that's not what you meant to imply, Doug

Now of course I don't mean that, but there really is something terrible going on, with, you know, kids today not reading. You may have noticed that thread on the Progressive Sociologists list the other week, looking for suggested excerpts from The Communist Manifesto to assign, because the full text is too long. It's about 40 pages, for god's sake. This is very bad. We can talk for a long time about what's produced this situation, but it's still very bad.