[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 08:48:41 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Well, yeah, I'm all for that, but my question was why don't kids today want to read?

If this is true, is it different from the more recent past? That's a real question. Very few of my contemporaries (born in '69) read for pleasure, and when they read because they had to, they didn't read very well, it always seemed to me.

Tentative answer: Kids read all the time. They just don't read "texts."

Or the Deleuze and Guattari answer from 1972: "Writing has never been capitalism's thing. Capitalism is profoundly illilterate. The death of writing is like the death of God or the death of the father: it was settled a long time ago, although the news of the event is slow to reach us."