[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:00:55 PST 2011

Chuck asks:
>If you give a lecture for about an hour, how many pages would be in the transcript?

JG: Most uni-college instructors whom I know, when they do lecture, lecture from loosely assembled NOTES (sometimes taking the form of Powerpoint slides), not fully fleshed TRANSCRIPTS. Especially if it's on a topic in which I'm well-versed and about which I've lectured dozens & dozens of times -- say, the early 80's debt crisis -- one or two pages of NOTES will compose a sufficientframework for lecturing for 60-75 mins. What sort of word count maps onto a TRANSCRIPT I haven't the faintest. Keep in mind, when one is not lecturing from a prepared text, a fair amount of verbiage tends to be devoted to "OK, the connection between this and this is..." and "so what is the point of my telling you this?" and "I'll repeat this again, from a slightly different angle, to help you better understand" -- at least it does in my case. Most uni-college lectures don't sound much like Doug's crisp monologues...